Medicare Advantage Plans in Georgia
Medicare Advantage Plans In Georgia
In Georgia, just like in other states, you can choose a Medicare Advantage plan, Part C, to get more coverage than through the government plans. They are offered by private Medicare-approved insurance companies and offer Part A and Part B. They include prescription drug coverage and sometimes dental services and vision.
Medicare Advantage Part C plans you can get in Georgia:
- Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) plans: HMOs cover your health care through their network of doctors, specialists and hospitals. You select a primary care doctor from the network, and this doctor will coordinate your care and refer you to specialists if needed. For medical emergencies, you will be covered even outside the network.
- Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plans: PPOs are different than HMOs in a few key ways. With a PPO plan, you don’t need to choose a primary care doctor. Also, you don’t need referrals to see specialists. Your share of costs is usually lowest if you see doctors in the network. You also can visit providers outside of the network – you just may have to pay higher copays and/or coinsurance.
- Special Needs Plans (SNPs): These Medicare Advantage plans are designed specifically for people with chronic conditions or special health needs. The benefits, providers and covered prescription drugs are carefully chosen for these unique needs. Read more about SNPs here.
Enrolling in Medicare Advantage
Each plan has different monthly costs and have different coverage, so choose the right plan that’s right for your needs. Some plans have premiums as low as $0. To enroll, you must join or change plans during what is called the Medicare Election Period. You can also change your plan during the Annual Election Period (AEP) which happens between October 15 and December 7. You can also enroll during Individual Election Period (IEP), which is a 90-day period around your 65th birthday. IEP starts the month before you turn 65 and ends the month after.
How to sign up for a Medicare Advantage plan
- Visit https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan/questions/home.aspx
- Search online the plan you want to sign up and enroll on their website
- Call the plan you're interested in for a paper form to fill out
- Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) (TTY: 711)